Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Thoughts on Electronic Music

This past week was by far my favorite lecture this semester. Being a long time fan of various genres within electronic music I was very interested in learning about the roots of the genre. One of the things that came to my mind was the the question " is all recorded music electronic?" Well, technically speaking I'd have to say yes. the sounds we hear on a CD or MP3 are just representations of the original music. Even if that original source is 100% acoustic the recording is by nature electronic. This argument made me recall Depeche Modes release of "Black Celebration." (here he goes ranting about Depeche Mode again, ok we get the point you like Depeche Mode.) Electronic music purist were enraged that the band opened the song "striped" with a chord from an acoustic guitar. In 1991 when the band was preparing to record "Violator" the producer Flood made the statement "If you want to use guitars then use guitars." The band has never looked back and continue to produce good music. Music is music and , I think, people get to caught up on the medium used in it's creation. Electronic music still suffers from the stigma that it is just repetitive noise but I would argue that these critics obviously haven't been exposed to the vast variety in electronically created music. I don't believe that technology has hindered music, rather it is liberated it. I like the fact that I can sing and have a computer correct my pitch and tone. I'm grateful I can incorporate a full orchestra into my music without having to foot the bill for contracting the London Symphony Orchestra. I don't think the aid of a computer diminishes the value of music. I believe it enhances it. I am excited about the sense of newness when I listen to recordings by Aphex Twin, Faunts, Uffie, Erasure, and Rex the Dog. I don't feel cheated at all when I see M83, Cytoplastic or other electronic artist perform their music live. Although I'm not a fan, I hope Britney Spears continues to augment her voice electronically. Change is inevitable. Really, when you think about it, when you bang two rocks together you are creating sound and in effect using an instrument. Music is just becoming bigger, embrace it.

No comments: